7/08/2015

Devotion: God Centered Holiness


"Our first problem is that our attitude toward sin is more self-centered than God centered."- Jerry Bridges in Holiness Day by Day

How true is this for me most of the time!  Most of my life, I was success oriented: my school life had been being on top always, my entire work career was geared toward achieving victory over challenges and soliciting commendation and promotion.  I thank God for this devotional this morning, which reminded me that my struggle toward sin should not be focused on overcoming it because I can, but because I love the Lord and I want to please Him. That I fear to grieve His heart and put Him on the cross over and over again.  I admit that sometimes, my hunger for personal victory overshadows my longing to want to please the Lord through obedience to His word.  That is why sometimes, there is no joy in every defeat, because I obeyed for selfish and self satisfying reasons, not out of fear and love.

I pray to God that He remind me always, that it is only through Jesus that I am forgiven and have victory over sin.  That it is only His power, love, mercy and grace that I have willingness to obey Him and fight to overcome sin.  I cannot and never will have overcome sin on my own strength, but only through Jesus alone who had suffered on the cross to save me.


John 16:33

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. 
  In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! 
  I have overcome the world.”

No comments: