11/26/2012

Treasures

Matthew 6:19
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

My life before Christ had always been about pursuing treasures on earth rather than treasures in heaven.  Well, it had to be that way before because I really never give a thought about heaven  or eternal life.  And as the bible said, it was where the whole of my heart was- pursuing financial freedom and gaining all the material things I wanted for me and my family.  For someone who also never understood about investment in eternal life, it was a noble and reasonable goal and pursuit.  To work hard and leave a legacy of financial freedom to your family is what most of us see as SUCCESS.  My heart and my soul and my strength was into it.  I never cared much already about other things like time with God, with my family and my friends.  Well, I can have all the time in the world once I get the goal.

And then I met Christ, accepted Him as my Savior and surrendered my life to Him... He became my Lord, my King.  He showed me about eternal life and how foolish it was for me to be investing my whole life over my short time here on earth and neglecting eternity.  He made me realize that the right legacy I can leave to my children was not financial security but security in the knowledge and grace and salvation of God.  

Was it easy to just let go and change the whole of my direction 365 degrees?  

It was a struggle!  But you see, He made me see what is like to be a follower of Him and how faithful He is to His promises.  It was always me who is not faithful of surrendering everything to Him and trusting Him of His will and promises.  I am a work in progress...  I have surrendered many areas of my life to Him and still surrendering... 

For me, pursuing treasure in Heaven is understanding the will of the Father in my life and DOING HIS WILL.  And understanding His will is first seeking him and knowing Him.  Just as we are here on earth, you can never understand or trust someone if you don't know him/her.  Same with God, you will never trust your whole life to Him and seek and understand His will if you don't know Him- close and intimate.  Slowly, as I grew closer to Him, He is revealing His will in my life.  And I pray for strength, courage and wisdom to follow.

I pray that I may be able to store up for myself treasures in Heaven and have the courage to always give up pursuing treasures here on earth.  I pray that my heart will always be in the right place.









No comments: