7/03/2012

Find Rest

I am pretty sure all of us is familiar with Psalm 23 from the bible:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
 he leads me beside quiet waters,
 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
 for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the
 shadow of death
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
 your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the 
 days of my life,
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Now, let me share you something from a book I am currently reading.  And antithesis of Psalm 23 which speaks for most of us.  I myself have experienced this:

The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me to deep depression, it hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy for activity's sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task,
I will never get it all done, for my "ideal" is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of
    my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines, my in-basket 
   overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me all the
   days of my life,
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.
                      MARCIA K. HORNOK, "PSALM 23, ANTITHESIS
                             from the book: Living on Purpose by Christine and Tom Sine

Funny, but true.  Most of the time, we live a busy life that is never ending.  We try to book a vacation or file a one day leave in the hope that it will somehow recharge us.  But the moment we wake up the next day, just thinking of the task ahead zaps up our energy.

It is when you are in the Lord that rest comes in the midst of a busy day. He promised us this:

Matthew 11:29-30
Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Seek the Lord and surely you will find rest in your weary souls.  God bless us all!


No comments: